Ian Bow, Health, Safety and Wellbeing Adviser at Perth College UHI, shares his top reasons for eating breakfast.
1. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism which helps you to burn calories throughout the day.
2. It provides you with the energy you need to get things done.
3. Having extra energy will help you to focus on your work at college.
4. Skipping breakfast can throw off your body’s rhythm of fasting and eating. Did you know that your blood sugar level is usually low when you wake up? So by having breakfast, your body can help replenish the blood sugar that your body needs to make your muscles and brain work their best.
5. People that eat breakfast are less likely to overeat throughout the rest of the day.
6. Many studies have linked eating breakfast to good health; better memory and concentration; and a reduction in your chance of being overweight.
7. Eating a healthy breakfast will give you the chance to get essential vitamins and nutrients from dairy, grains and fruits.
8. Don’t make the mistake of skipping breakfast because you are rushing out of the door in the morning. Your body needs food in its system before you get to lunchtime.
9. Breakfast provides the body, and brain, with fuel after an overnight fast. Did you know that the name breakfast originates from the term ‘breaking the fast’?
10. And finally - If you don’t start your day with breakfast, you are effectively running your body on empty! It’s like trying to start a car that has no petrol in it!
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, so remember to make the time to eat it. Your body, and mind, will really thank you for it!