Make a Difference Day: you can change the world!

Zoe Powell Martin

Zoe Powell Martin

Our guest blogger - Zoe Powell Martin, Student Counsellor, writes:

Next week is the 24 October 2020. It’s a Saturday! That’s nice, right? You’ll get to enjoy the weekend – and, unless it’s somebody’s birthday, anniversary, or memorable day - the 24 October could just be another dreich day. Well, it’s actually a bright day - it’s ‘Make a Difference Day’! A day to celebrate you, us, them, we – everybody!

door gift.jpg

‘Make a Difference Day’ gets you to think about how you relate to others, and how we can all make steps towards acting on our own humanity and supporting our physical, mental and/or spiritual health by supporting others. It encourages you to contribute, no matter how big or small, to a better world.

rainbow.jpg

With COVID-19, we’re reminded of the impact that ‘Making a Difference’ can have. We’ve seen some heart-warming ways that people have contributed with countless individuals, families and communities supporting each other - by donating food, checking-in on neighbours, sewing masks for one another, providing front-line care, and painting rainbows. These are perfect examples of Making a Difference.

running.jpg

Since 1992, those that take part in ‘Make A Difference Day’ have informed and reported what they’re doing locally, encouraging thousands of people across the nation to do the same. We’ve seen stuffed bears being gathered and passed on to injured and frightened children after house fires; relief support after natural catastrophe; people pushing themselves: cycling, walking, running - as a sponsor to a cause.

nathan-lemon-FBiKcUw_sQw-unsplash.jpg

You can contribute in any way, big or small. Some good ways include: giving an uplifting compliment to a stranger, asking if someone is ok, picking up someone else’s litter, raising money for a cause, volunteering, planting a tree, donating clothes, buying locally, avoiding plastic, supporting a cause close to your heart, and performing an act of kindness. There are plenty of ways to give back to your friends, college/university, workplace or community. There will definitely be one that will suit you and your lifestyle.

good deed book.jpg

No matter what you choose to do, it’s always good to share it! Post your ‘Make a Difference Day’ on social media, and let’s all get contributing to making a positive difference to the world we live in.

Staff Spotlight: Lianne Schemper, Nursery Manager

Alumni Spotlight - Lesley Dunbar

Alumni Spotlight - Lesley Dunbar